We have great learning and working opportunities for students, graduates and professionals in a wide range of disciplines.
Ace your application:
If you are applying for a Staff position, check out this step by step guide, and this video on CERN's online recruitment process for Staff positions.
The best tip for all applicants: communicate your passion, your motivation and your desire to join this unique place to work!
- Where to begin? Browse our opportunities and read up about CERN.
- Apply for a position that you feel matches your profile, skillset and aspirations. Please note that we only accept specific job applications for given published positions: spontaneous/generic applications are not considered.
- Once you identify a match between your profile and a position, take the first step: click on "I'm interested" and apply! You will be taken to our Applicant Tracking System, Smartrecruiters and you will be guided every step of the way.
- You will be guided through the eligibility criteria and requirements, what documents to provide and what questions to answer to make sure your application is complete. Make sure you read it all carefully and follow our guidance!
- Make good use of the motivation section to explain why you want to join CERN, what you can bring to the Organization and in return what the Organization can bring to your career.
- Make sure your CV is tailored to the position, and put care into it: for example, avoid spelling mistakes and over-formatting, keep it clear and keep it 'you'. Read our CV tips and tricks for more!
- If you want to add documents, such as a cover letter, references (NB: some positions require these): please do. You can manage your documents in your Smartrecruiters profile.
How long does it typically take to complete an application?
It all depends on your upstream preparation. If you have already prepared your tailored motivation letter/statement and CV, it can take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
Once it is submitted, what happens next?
The hiring teams will review your application and you will be kept informed of its progress.
This can take time, so patience is key!
- For Staff opportunities it can take a few weeks.
- For student and graduate (fellowship) opportunities, there are two committees per year in May and November/December, so you will need to wait until the committee date has passed to hear back.
- The Technician Training Experience committee meets three times per year, typically in January, June and October. You can expect to hear back soon after these events.